Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Plan. Aka: Diet.

 

"This diet makes me feel SO FULL" Biggest. Lie. EVER.

"Skinny feels better than that cupcake tastes" (insert eye-roll here)

"What are you doing?"

This is the most common question asked. And I think 98% of those that ask don't actually believe my answer(s). Why? Because, awesome reader, the "diet" is easy, it's sticking with it day in and day out that is hard. Weight loss is hard because temptation is high, cravings are very easy to sate and and dedication takes willpower. Oh, and working out sucks.

When choosing a diet (and I'm not biased or anything, but mine is pretty awesome) there are some rules that need to be considered. Basically, these rules are all common sense. I have found though, when it comes to wanting immediate gratification (the curse of every single person on a diet), common sense can go out the door. Hence some of the idiotic fad diets (more on those beauties later).

Rule #1 - Your diet must be maintainable. Duh. If you can't do it for a week, what makes you think you can do it for a month? Or, for some of us, a year??

Exibit A - I am an idiot. I went to my doctor to get a diet plan a few years ago. But I already had the answer I wanted in my head. I asked the doctor for a plan and was presented the 1500 calorie low carb diet. I'm confident I even wrinkled my nose at it. "No," said I. "That's too many calories! I want to do 1200. I think 1200 is much more reasonable." Clearly that worked out well for me, since years later, I'm still fat.

Rule #2 - Your diet must incorporate all foods. Sorry but "I'm just not going to have carbs EVER" doesn't work. "Everything in moderation" is a phrase that everyone has heard and that is for good reason... because it's the truth.

Exhibit B - Everyone who has done a no carb diet, who does it again months later because they gained all their weight back. Oh yes, that includes me.

Rule #3 - Having to buy specific "extras" isn't going to work out either. Sorry. Normal weight loss drinks/meals can help short term, but they don't teach you how to maintain. They don't teach you how to create healthy meals that will in turn, lead to weight loss. I consider these types of diets as "quick fixes".

Exhibit C - SURPRISE! Me again! About two years ago, I committed myself to a brand name weight loss product that touts if you drink it's drink or eat it's meal replacements, you will lose weight. I did! I lost 14 lbs! Which was awesome! But I also gained it back because I couldn't maintain and this is a shocker right here... I gained MORE back! That of course isn't the fault of the weight loss product, it's mine.

So with these rules in mind, I made a full circle back to the 1500 calorie, low carb diet. This diet and moderate exercise (that feels extreme) I have lost 28 lbs in slightly over two months and I feel great! The best part is, nothing is off limits, I just need to account for it. 1500 calories works. It's not rocket science.

1500 Calorie low carb diet broken down. This is what works for me, adjust as necessary.

Breakfast - 250 - 350 calories
Lunch - 300ish calories

Dinner - 600 - 800
After dinner - 100 - 200 if I have the remaining calories

For diabetics - this can work for you too... I'm not an expert on diabetes, but I did find some information for you to start your own research for this particular diet.  For the Diabetic Awesome Reader

The few twists I've added... I lean towards a very "clean" eating menu. Processed crap is all out. I really like the Paleo diet for that reason and have been investigating it a lot, and putting Paleo recipes on my dinner table. Paleo information for the interested Awesome Reader.

In addition to clean eating, I also track every single calorie I consume. Tracking is key, you have heard it a million times. And more on this topic to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment